Local alternative health specialist Paula Jurko shares her experience about Dr. Mike & Kathy at Alternative Health Oasis in Powell, Ohio.More
Back pain is not something you should live with. Danielle lived a healthy athletic lifestyle. However back pain and fatigue continually placed her in pain. Find out how her trip to Alternative Health Oasis made a difference in her life.More
Peach and Kale Salad with Maple Miso Vinaigrette
Makes 2 large salads or 4 medium salads.
- 1 large bunch kale
- 2 peaches, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup Grade B
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (cold pressed)
- 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons light miso (white or yellow)
- Himalayan salt and pepper
1. Remove stems from kale and tear into bite-sized pieces. Place in large bowl.
2. Prepare vinaigrette by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl.
3. Pour vinaigrette over kale and give it a really good massage. The idea here is to massage the dressing into the leaves and break down the leaves a bit. This step is crucial.
4. Toss with peaches and pecans.More
Chris felt like he had lost the energy he use to have. After his doctors placed him on 13 prescriptions he decided to take charge of his health and see Dr. Mike & Kate at Alternative Health Oasis in Powell OhioMore
This pâté is my daily staple—it’s delicious, versatile, and filling. Not Tuna Pâté is the perfect addition to turn a salad into a main dish. You may wish to make a larger batch, since it will keep for five days.
1/2 cup soaked sunflower seeds
1/4 cup soaked almonds (or Walnuts)
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons minced celery
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
( you can vary the flavors with different spices/herbs)
measuring cups, measuring spoons, citrus juicer or reamer, food processor, rubber spatula, small bowl
cutting board, chef’s knife, 8-inch
Put the sunflower seeds, almonds, water, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor fitted with the S blade and process into a paste, stopping occasionally to scrape down the work bowl with a rubber spatula. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the celery, onion, and parsley until well combined. Stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator, Not Tuna Pâté will keep for 5 days.
Per serving: calories: 227, protein: 8 g, fat: 20 g, carbohydrate: 9 g, fiber: 4 g, sodium: 275 mg
Not Salmon Pâté: Add 1/4 cup of shredded carrot to the food processor along with the sunflower seeds, almonds, water, lemon juice, and salt. Replace the parsley with 1 tablespoon of minced fresh dill or 1 teaspoon of dried dill weed.
Every year statistics show that more Americas are complaining of digestive pain. These discomforts could be something as common as a stomach ache, diarrhea to massive pain, bloating and cramps. "We believe diet and digestion can play a major role in the prevention and reversal of chronic degenerative disease. " Says Kate Dixon of Alternative Health Oasis in Powell, Ohio. "We have objective test methods to determine enzyme, nutritional deficiencies. Using our extensive patient history survey helps to determine what specific enzymes and nutrients are missing from the client in order for their body to come back into a healthy balance." Kate Dixon recently completed training from the Loomis Institute.
...We believe diet and digestion can play a major role in the prevention and reversal of chronic degenerative disease.
"Enzyme deficiency in the diet are being postulated as the major cause of chronic disease in this country", says Dixon "We focus on The Science of Nutrition as we believe Nutrition is the science of Food and what is ingested, digested, transported, utilized and eliminated. Enzymes help to digest food and nourish the immune system!"
"If someone is struggling with constipation or loss of appetite this could be all related to digestive health. I recommend you go to AlternativeHealthOasis.com and fill out the Loomis Symptom Survey which will help us diagnose the problem and get you back on the road to health."
Kate was in Atlanta in March, continuing her education through the Loomis Institute, one of the nation's leading wellness institutions.
Alternative Health Oasis serves Central Ohio from its Powell location just minutes from I-270 in Columbus.More
It's beginning to look more and more like fish food really is brain food!
Intriguing scientific research suggests that may be the case, especially in the addition of fish oil supplements to the diet of infants and children.
The study indicated a significant escalation in the learning skills and overall brain growth of a group of school children who consumed two supplements daily of Veg-EPA, which contains omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. At the same time, they were encouraged to increase exercise and activity while also reducing their intake of carbonated soft drinks, and greasy fast foods.
Within three short months, researchers quickly noted a dramatic jump in the reading ability of the children and recognized an increased eloquence, maturity, and neatness in their handwriting skills. And when we say, “dramatic” and “increased,” that's exactly what we mean; three months of fish oil supplementation seemingly allowed the brain growth of the kids to jump ahead by three years – an astounding achievement.
Upon further investigation via brain scan, scientists detected the children now possessed an increased level of NAA (N-acetylaspartate), a biochemical indicator of brain development.
But don't wait until children are in school before making fish oil a part of your diet and theirs. What are fish oil benefits? Did you know that the brain development of an infant undergoes it's most rapid and complex growth during the last trimester of pregnancy and the first two years after birth? That means that the dietary demands of babies include a proper level of omega-3 oils. This is made clear by the fact that 70 percent of energy supply during fetal development is devoted to brain development. So pregnant moms in Central Ohio and elsewhere must ensure that they are consuming a healthy level of omega-3 fish oils
The importance of adding fish oil supplements to the diet doesn't stop with young children. In July of 2013 we attended a seminar in Cincinnati conducted by an expert in the field, Dr. Daniel J. Murphy DC, DABCO.
He noted that "Omega 3 deficiency in childhood delays brain development and produces irreversible effects, while the same deficiency in aging accelerates the deterioration of brain function, bringing about 'senior moments,' and possibly Alzheimer's disease, etc."
In scientific terms, Omega-3 deficiency in the brain is associated with "decreased learning ability, with a lower synaptic vesicle density in the hippocampus; whereas, regular intake of omegas - 3's improves reference memory-related learning."
It's believed this is due to increased neuroplasticity in the neural membranes, leading to the ability of the brain to adapt and develop new pathways for greater brain performance.
If you'd like to learn more about the benefits of fish oil supplements and browse our supply, please feel free to stop by our store on Sawmill Road. We'll be happy to share more information with you and discuss any and all questions you have concerning healthy living and wellness for yourself and family.
This is a great recipe and it is a great twist on something you can make and bring some fresh tastes of spring into your next party or dinner. There is nothing like the taste of fresh sweet peas and they are loaded with vitamin C. So enjoy this recipe and continue to live & eat healthy!
Ingredients: yields 3 cups
- 1 cup sweet peas
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups baby brussels sprouts
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Tamari
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp dried dill
- 3/4 cup raw mayonnaise
- Wash and remove the ends of the brussels sprouts.
- Place the brussels sprouts in the food processor, fitted with the “S” blade and process until broken down into small pieces.
- Add the chopped green onions, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, Tamari, lemon juice, and dill. Process till mixed together. Transfer to a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the raw mayonnaise and sweet peas. Stir to mix well.
- Eat right away or place in the fridge overnight to all the ingredients to meld together.
- Should last approx. 3-4 days. After it sits in the fridge overnight, the outside will turn a little in color, just give it a stir and all is good.
- Eat right away or place in the fridge overnight so all the ingredients to meld together.
Raw Mayo recipe
Note: Eat right away or place in the fridge overnight so all the ingredients to meld together.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked 2 +hours
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2-3 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ cup cold pressed olive oil (to be added last)
- After soaking the cashews, discard the soak water and place in a high-powered blender
- Add the water lemon juice, dates, salt, onion powder and garlic powder. Blend until creamy smooth. You shouldn’t detect any grit in the mayo. If you do, keep blending till it is creamy smooth when you run it between your thumb and finger. This can take 1-3 minutes, depending on the machine. Puree all ingredients, except oil, in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- While continuing to blend and a vortex is created in the mixture, add oil in a steady stream, until emulsified.
- Store in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
I deal with health issues with young adults as well as the elderly here at Alternative Health Oasis. Soda consumption has skyrocketed over the past thirty years. What was once a treat, having an ice cold soda, has become a daily drinking habit for all ages. I can't emphasize enough how these drinks do not help your body. These are some facts that were published from Get Holistic Health which I want to share with you:
People who consume soft drinks such as Coke have a 48% increase in heart attack and stroke risk, compared to people who did not drink the sodas at all or did not drink them every day. A study published in the journal Respirology reveals that soft drink consumption is also associated with lung and breathing disorders including asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
The carbonation in Coke causes calcium loss in the bones through a 3-stage process:
1.The carbonation irritates the stomach.
2.The stomach “cures” the irritation the only way it knows how. It adds the only antacid at its disposal: calcium. It gets this from the blood.
3.The blood, now low on calcium, replenishes its supply from the bones. If it did not do this, muscular and brain function would be severely impaired.
But, the story doesn’t end there. Another problem with most Coke is it also contain phosphoric acid (not the same as the carbonation, which is carbon dioxide mixed with the water). Phosphoric acid also causes a draw-down on the body’s store of calcium.
So Coke softens your bones (actually, makes them weak and brittle) in 3 ways:
1. Carbonation reduces the calcium in the bones.
2. Phosphoric acid reduces the calcium in the bones.
3. The beverage replaces a calcium-containing alternative, such as milk or water. Milk and water are not excellent calcium sources, but they are sources.
Esophageal cancer was very rare two generations ago — now, it’s common. The basic mechanism works as follows:
1. Mechanical damage to cells is a huge risk factor for cancer. It’s why asbestos particles, for example, cause lung cancer.
2. All soft drinks cause acid reflux (stomach acid rising up past the esophageal valve). This is more pronounced when the body is horizontal (as in sleeping), but the sheer volume of Coke and soft drinks consumed in the USA means the acid reflux is well past the danger point. Any time you ingest a gassy drink, you are going to get belching–and acid into the esophagus. How much is too much? The research doesn’t say where the limit is–it only shows that most of us are far, far, far past it.
3. Stomach acid dissolves tissue — that’s its purpose. The stomach lining does not extend into the esophagus, so the lower esophagus gets damaged by acid far more frequently in soft drink users than in non soft drink users. This results in a radical increase in cell mutations, along with a far higher level of free radicals.
Twenty Practical Uses For Coke
Coke acts as an acidic cleaner. The amount of acid in soda is enough to wear away at the enamel of your teeth, making them more susceptible to decay. In tests done on the acidity levels of soda, certain ones were found to have pH levels as low as 2.5. To put that into perspective, consider that battery acid has a pH of 1 and pure water has a pH of 7.
To prove Coke does not belong in the human body, here are 20 practical ways you can use Coke as a domestic cleaner:
1. Removes grease stains from clothing and fabric
2. Removes rust; methods include using fabric dipped in Coke, a sponge or even aluminum foil. Also loosens rusty bolts
3. Removes blood stains from clothing and fabric.
4. Cleans oil stains from a garage floor; let the stain soak, hose off.
5. Kills slugs and snails; the acids kills them.
6. Cleans burnt pans; let the pan soak in the Coke, then rinse.
7. Descales a kettle (same method as with burnt pans)
8. Cleans car battery terminals by pouring a small amount of Coke over each one.
9. Cleans your engine; Coke distributors have been using this technique for decades.
10. Makes pennies shine; soaking old pennies in Coke will remove the tarnish.
11. Cleans tile grout; pour onto kitchen floor, leave for a few minutes, wipe up.
12. Dissolves a tooth; Use a sealed container…takes a while but it does work.
13. Removes gum from hair; dip into a small bowl of Coke, leave a few minutes. Gum will wipe off.
14. Removes stains from vitreous china.
15. Got a dirty pool? Adding two 2-liter bottles of Coke clears up rust.
16. You can remove (or fade) dye from hair by pouring diet Coke over it.
17. Remove marker stains from carpet. Applying Coke, scrubbing and then clean with soapy water will remove marker stains.
18. Cleans a toilet; pour around bowl, leave for a while, flush clean.
19. Coke and aluminum foil will bring Chrome to a high shine.
20. Strips paint off metal furniture. Soak a towel in Coke and lay it on the paint surface.
Now can you imagine what is does to your stomach lining?
Who needs the ‘household and cleaning’ section at the hardware store when we have Coke.
Have you ever wondered what exactly Coca Cola is?
After 10 minutes: The sugar contained in a glass of Cola can cause a devastating “strike” on the body. The cause being the phosphoric acid which inhibits the action of sugar.
After 20 minutes: A leap in insulin levels in bloodstream occurs. The pancreas goes into insulin shock, and done over and over again can lead to diabetes.
After 40 minutes: Ingestion of caffeine is finally completed. The eye’s pupils are expanding. Blood pressure rises because the liver disposes more sugar into the bloodstream. The adenosine receptors become blocked thereby preventing drowsiness.
After 45 minutes: The body raises production of the dopamine hormone, which stimulates the brain pleasure center. Similar to the reaction Heroin creates.
After 1 hour: Phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in the gastrointestinal tract, which supercharges metabolism. The release of calcium through urine takes place.
After more than 1 hour: Diuretic effects of the drink enters in “the game”. The calcium, magnesium and zinc are removed out of the body, which are a part of our bones, as well as sodium. At this time we can become irritable or subdued. The whole quantity of water, contained in a coca cola, is removed through urination.
When having a cold bottle of Coke and enjoying its undeniable freshness are we aware of what chemical “cocktail” we are putting into our bodies? The active ingredient in Coca-Cola is orthophosphoric acid. Due to its high acidity, cisterns used for transporting the chemical have to be equipped with special reservoirs designed for highly corrosive materials.
Let’s have a look at “the anatomy” of one of the most advertised products of “Coca-Cola Co.” – Coca-Cola Light without caffeine. This drink contains Aqua Carbonated, E150D, E952, E951, E338, E330, Aromas, E211.
Aqua Carbonated – this is sparkling water. It stirs gastric secretion, increases the acidity of the gastric juice and provokes flatulency. Filtered tap water is what is primarily used.
E150D – this is food coloring obtained through the processing of sugar at specified temperatures, with or without addition of chemical reagents. In the case of coca-cola, ammonium sulfate is added.
E952 – Sodium Cyclamate is a sugar substitute. Cyclamate is a synthetic chemical, has a sweet taste, which is 200 times sweeter than sugar, and is used as an artificial sweetener. In 1969 it was banned by FDA, since it, as well as saccharin and aspartame, caused cancer in rats.
E950 – Acesulfame Potassium. 200 times sweeter than sugar, containing methyl-ether. It aggravates the operation of the cardiovascular system. Likewise, it contains asparaginic acid which can also cause an excitant effect on our nervous system and in time it can lead to addiction. Acesulfame is badly dissolved and is not recommended for use by children and pregnant women.
E951 – Aspartame. A sugar substitute for diabetics and is chemically unstable at elevated temperatures it breaks down into methanol and phenylalanine. Methanol is very dangerous as only 5-10ml can cause destruction of the optic nerve and irreversible blindness. In warm soft drinks, aspartame transforms into formaldehyde which is a very strong carcinogen. Symptoms of aspartame poisoning include: unconsciousness, headaches, fatigue, dizziness, nausea, palpitation, weight gain, irritability, anxiety, memory loss, blurry vision, fainting, joint pains, depression, infertility, hearing loss and more. Aspartame can also provoke the following diseases: brain tumors, MS (Multiple Sclerosis), epilepsy, Graves’ disease, chronic fatigue, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, mental deficiency and tuberculosis. Later, this substance was initially illegal due to its dangers but was again made legal in a suspicious manner.
E338 – Orthophosphoric Acid. This can cause irritation of the skin and eyes. It is used for production of phosphoric acid salts of ammonia, sodium, calcium, aluminum and also in organic synthesis for the production of charcoal and film tapes. It is also used in the production of refractory materials, ceramics, glass, fertilizers, synthetic detergents, medicine, metalworking, as well as in the textile and oil industries. It is known that orthophosphoric acid interferes with the absorption of calcium and iron into the body which can cause weakening of bones and osteoporosis. Other side effects are thirst and skin rashes.
E330 – Citric Acid. It is widely used in pharmaceutical and food industries. Salts of citric acid (citrates) are used in the food industry as acids, preservatives, stabilizers, and in the medical fields – for preserving blood.
Aromas – unknown aromatic additives
E211 – Sodium Benzoate. It is used in production of some food products for anti-bacterial and anti-fungal purposes. It is often found in jams, fruit juices and fruit yogurts. It’s not recommended for use by asthmatics and people who are sensitive to aspirin. A study conducted by Peter Piper at the Sheffield University in Britain, found that this compound causes significant damage to DNA. According to Peter, sodium benzoate which is an active component in preservatives, doesn’t destroy DNA, but deactivates it. This can lead to cirrhosis and degenerative diseases like Parkinson’s disease.
Coca-Cola is undeniably a very useful product. The key is to use it for purposes that do not include drinking! Here is a video about Coca-Cola!
Sources: Get Holistic Health, Why Don’t You Try This
Triple Your Love this Valentines Day!
¾ C. Raw Almonds (un-soaked)
½ C. Coconut Crystals
1/8 tsp. Salt Himalayan
¾ C. Raw Cacao Powder
¼ C. Virgin Coconut Oil, Melted
½ C. Macadamia
½ C. Raisins
Place the almonds, sugar & salt in a food processor fitted with the S blade and process until finely ground. And the Cacao powder and process to incorporate. And the coconut oil and process until the mixture begins to stick together. Don’t over process. Roughly chop Macs. Roughly Process Raisins in food processor to break them down a little. Then mix into batter so you have chunks of nuts to bite into. (You may need to add another 1/4 tsp. salt to taste) Make into round Cookie Balls!!
Stored in a sealed container! Will keep for 1 month in the refrigerator or for 3 months in the freezer.
This recipe is so delicious you may want to double it like I do as you will be sharing it with all your friends!!
- I always either double or triple this recipe because they disappear super-fast!!
- Kate Dixon
We specialize in natural alternatives for our clients who are dealing with back, abdominal , neck and head pain. If you face a loss of energy we have natural solutions which can bring you back to the energy level you use to have.