Here's a question I get quite regularly:
"Dr. Mike, why am I losing my hair at such a young age?"
Most people assume that hair loss is caused simply through aging or genetics, but many other factors can come into play.
Here are my top three causes:
Your body may rob hair for its minerals
First, your hair is full of minerals and when the body is low in those minerals it will rob them from available places - like hair. A typical symptom of this is thin, wispy hair that blows easily in the wind.
Secondly, you must consider hypothyroidism and parasites as a cause of hair loss.
Third, hair loss at the crown (the flat area at the back, top part of your skull) is associated with blood sugar problems or diabetes.
Contact Dr. Mike for More Information & Advice on Stopping Hair Loss in Columbus, Ohio
Other causes can include:
When you get sick to your stomach from bad sushi, etc., your blood circulation can get upset and causes your hair growth to go prematurely into a shedding phase. This is called “Diffuse Hair Loss” and usually lasts about three months until damaged hair follicles are replaced by new ones. The good news is this should correct itself.
Extended high fever
This can cause the same reaction as food poisoning - disruption of blood circulation - and sometimes a hormonal shift. The normal life of a hair is anywhere from two to six years, but you grow new hairs every two to three months.
Similar to above, but your hair can also fall out or stop growing if you have eczema or psoriasis in your head and you are scratching your scalp, creating scabs, and preventing follicles from opening.
Car accident (or any sudden traumatic event)
When you go through any sort of extreme shock, you can develop what’s known as Alopecia Areata - small, bald patches that appear on your head. Trauma can trigger an autoimmune reaction, where white blood cells attack the hair bulb, which goes swiftly into the resting phase and falls out, but just in particular spots. These spots may also be tingly or slightly painful.
Dairy, wheat, soy, or other food allergies
When your body has a true allergic reaction, your immune system can act violently, sending signals throughout the body to ward off attacks. It is very rare, but in certain cases, these issues can contribute to scalp problems and Alopecia Areata. If your doctor says to avoid particular foods due to true allergies, heed this advice, along with GMO foods and food sensitivities.
In our office we offer many services like nutrition and lifestyle testing, cleansing, and anti-aging programs. If you have any interest or health issues that concern you, contact our office to schedule an appointment to resolve or prevent them.
Alternative Health Oasis is conveniently located on Sawmill Parkway near Powell and Dublin, and just a short, few minutes from Worthington, Westerville, Polaris, and Northwest Columbus, Ohio.
Source: Partial credit to yahoo news June 23, 2014
It's beginning to look more and more like fish food really is brain food!
Intriguing scientific research suggests that may be the case, especially in the addition of fish oil supplements to the diet of infants and children.
The study indicated a significant escalation in the learning skills and overall brain growth of a group of school children who consumed two supplements daily of Veg-EPA, which contains omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. At the same time, they were encouraged to increase exercise and activity while also reducing their intake of carbonated soft drinks, and greasy fast foods.
Within three short months, researchers quickly noted a dramatic jump in the reading ability of the children and recognized an increased eloquence, maturity, and neatness in their handwriting skills. And when we say, “dramatic” and “increased,” that's exactly what we mean; three months of fish oil supplementation seemingly allowed the brain growth of the kids to jump ahead by three years – an astounding achievement.
Upon further investigation via brain scan, scientists detected the children now possessed an increased level of NAA (N-acetylaspartate), a biochemical indicator of brain development.
But don't wait until children are in school before making fish oil a part of your diet and theirs. What are fish oil benefits? Did you know that the brain development of an infant undergoes it's most rapid and complex growth during the last trimester of pregnancy and the first two years after birth? That means that the dietary demands of babies include a proper level of omega-3 oils. This is made clear by the fact that 70 percent of energy supply during fetal development is devoted to brain development. So pregnant moms in Central Ohio and elsewhere must ensure that they are consuming a healthy level of omega-3 fish oils
The importance of adding fish oil supplements to the diet doesn't stop with young children. In July of 2013 we attended a seminar in Cincinnati conducted by an expert in the field, Dr. Daniel J. Murphy DC, DABCO.
He noted that "Omega 3 deficiency in childhood delays brain development and produces irreversible effects, while the same deficiency in aging accelerates the deterioration of brain function, bringing about 'senior moments,' and possibly Alzheimer's disease, etc."
In scientific terms, Omega-3 deficiency in the brain is associated with "decreased learning ability, with a lower synaptic vesicle density in the hippocampus; whereas, regular intake of omegas - 3's improves reference memory-related learning."
It's believed this is due to increased neuroplasticity in the neural membranes, leading to the ability of the brain to adapt and develop new pathways for greater brain performance.
If you'd like to learn more about the benefits of fish oil supplements and browse our supply, please feel free to stop by our store on Sawmill Road. We'll be happy to share more information with you and discuss any and all questions you have concerning healthy living and wellness for yourself and family.
I deal with health issues with young adults as well as the elderly here at Alternative Health Oasis. Soda consumption has skyrocketed over the past thirty years. What was once a treat, having an ice cold soda, has become a daily drinking habit for all ages. I can't emphasize enough how these drinks do not help your body. These are some facts that were published from Get Holistic Health which I want to share with you:
People who consume soft drinks such as Coke have a 48% increase in heart attack and stroke risk, compared to people who did not drink the sodas at all or did not drink them every day. A study published in the journal Respirology reveals that soft drink consumption is also associated with lung and breathing disorders including asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
The carbonation in Coke causes calcium loss in the bones through a 3-stage process:
1.The carbonation irritates the stomach.
2.The stomach “cures” the irritation the only way it knows how. It adds the only antacid at its disposal: calcium. It gets this from the blood.
3.The blood, now low on calcium, replenishes its supply from the bones. If it did not do this, muscular and brain function would be severely impaired.
But, the story doesn’t end there. Another problem with most Coke is it also contain phosphoric acid (not the same as the carbonation, which is carbon dioxide mixed with the water). Phosphoric acid also causes a draw-down on the body’s store of calcium.
So Coke softens your bones (actually, makes them weak and brittle) in 3 ways:
1. Carbonation reduces the calcium in the bones.
2. Phosphoric acid reduces the calcium in the bones.
3. The beverage replaces a calcium-containing alternative, such as milk or water. Milk and water are not excellent calcium sources, but they are sources.
Esophageal cancer was very rare two generations ago — now, it’s common. The basic mechanism works as follows:
1. Mechanical damage to cells is a huge risk factor for cancer. It’s why asbestos particles, for example, cause lung cancer.
2. All soft drinks cause acid reflux (stomach acid rising up past the esophageal valve). This is more pronounced when the body is horizontal (as in sleeping), but the sheer volume of Coke and soft drinks consumed in the USA means the acid reflux is well past the danger point. Any time you ingest a gassy drink, you are going to get belching–and acid into the esophagus. How much is too much? The research doesn’t say where the limit is–it only shows that most of us are far, far, far past it.
3. Stomach acid dissolves tissue — that’s its purpose. The stomach lining does not extend into the esophagus, so the lower esophagus gets damaged by acid far more frequently in soft drink users than in non soft drink users. This results in a radical increase in cell mutations, along with a far higher level of free radicals.
Twenty Practical Uses For Coke
Coke acts as an acidic cleaner. The amount of acid in soda is enough to wear away at the enamel of your teeth, making them more susceptible to decay. In tests done on the acidity levels of soda, certain ones were found to have pH levels as low as 2.5. To put that into perspective, consider that battery acid has a pH of 1 and pure water has a pH of 7.
To prove Coke does not belong in the human body, here are 20 practical ways you can use Coke as a domestic cleaner:
1. Removes grease stains from clothing and fabric
2. Removes rust; methods include using fabric dipped in Coke, a sponge or even aluminum foil. Also loosens rusty bolts
3. Removes blood stains from clothing and fabric.
4. Cleans oil stains from a garage floor; let the stain soak, hose off.
5. Kills slugs and snails; the acids kills them.
6. Cleans burnt pans; let the pan soak in the Coke, then rinse.
7. Descales a kettle (same method as with burnt pans)
8. Cleans car battery terminals by pouring a small amount of Coke over each one.
9. Cleans your engine; Coke distributors have been using this technique for decades.
10. Makes pennies shine; soaking old pennies in Coke will remove the tarnish.
11. Cleans tile grout; pour onto kitchen floor, leave for a few minutes, wipe up.
12. Dissolves a tooth; Use a sealed container…takes a while but it does work.
13. Removes gum from hair; dip into a small bowl of Coke, leave a few minutes. Gum will wipe off.
14. Removes stains from vitreous china.
15. Got a dirty pool? Adding two 2-liter bottles of Coke clears up rust.
16. You can remove (or fade) dye from hair by pouring diet Coke over it.
17. Remove marker stains from carpet. Applying Coke, scrubbing and then clean with soapy water will remove marker stains.
18. Cleans a toilet; pour around bowl, leave for a while, flush clean.
19. Coke and aluminum foil will bring Chrome to a high shine.
20. Strips paint off metal furniture. Soak a towel in Coke and lay it on the paint surface.
Now can you imagine what is does to your stomach lining?
Who needs the ‘household and cleaning’ section at the hardware store when we have Coke.
Have you ever wondered what exactly Coca Cola is?
After 10 minutes: The sugar contained in a glass of Cola can cause a devastating “strike” on the body. The cause being the phosphoric acid which inhibits the action of sugar.
After 20 minutes: A leap in insulin levels in bloodstream occurs. The pancreas goes into insulin shock, and done over and over again can lead to diabetes.
After 40 minutes: Ingestion of caffeine is finally completed. The eye’s pupils are expanding. Blood pressure rises because the liver disposes more sugar into the bloodstream. The adenosine receptors become blocked thereby preventing drowsiness.
After 45 minutes: The body raises production of the dopamine hormone, which stimulates the brain pleasure center. Similar to the reaction Heroin creates.
After 1 hour: Phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in the gastrointestinal tract, which supercharges metabolism. The release of calcium through urine takes place.
After more than 1 hour: Diuretic effects of the drink enters in “the game”. The calcium, magnesium and zinc are removed out of the body, which are a part of our bones, as well as sodium. At this time we can become irritable or subdued. The whole quantity of water, contained in a coca cola, is removed through urination.
When having a cold bottle of Coke and enjoying its undeniable freshness are we aware of what chemical “cocktail” we are putting into our bodies? The active ingredient in Coca-Cola is orthophosphoric acid. Due to its high acidity, cisterns used for transporting the chemical have to be equipped with special reservoirs designed for highly corrosive materials.
Let’s have a look at “the anatomy” of one of the most advertised products of “Coca-Cola Co.” – Coca-Cola Light without caffeine. This drink contains Aqua Carbonated, E150D, E952, E951, E338, E330, Aromas, E211.
Aqua Carbonated – this is sparkling water. It stirs gastric secretion, increases the acidity of the gastric juice and provokes flatulency. Filtered tap water is what is primarily used.
E150D – this is food coloring obtained through the processing of sugar at specified temperatures, with or without addition of chemical reagents. In the case of coca-cola, ammonium sulfate is added.
E952 – Sodium Cyclamate is a sugar substitute. Cyclamate is a synthetic chemical, has a sweet taste, which is 200 times sweeter than sugar, and is used as an artificial sweetener. In 1969 it was banned by FDA, since it, as well as saccharin and aspartame, caused cancer in rats.
E950 – Acesulfame Potassium. 200 times sweeter than sugar, containing methyl-ether. It aggravates the operation of the cardiovascular system. Likewise, it contains asparaginic acid which can also cause an excitant effect on our nervous system and in time it can lead to addiction. Acesulfame is badly dissolved and is not recommended for use by children and pregnant women.
E951 – Aspartame. A sugar substitute for diabetics and is chemically unstable at elevated temperatures it breaks down into methanol and phenylalanine. Methanol is very dangerous as only 5-10ml can cause destruction of the optic nerve and irreversible blindness. In warm soft drinks, aspartame transforms into formaldehyde which is a very strong carcinogen. Symptoms of aspartame poisoning include: unconsciousness, headaches, fatigue, dizziness, nausea, palpitation, weight gain, irritability, anxiety, memory loss, blurry vision, fainting, joint pains, depression, infertility, hearing loss and more. Aspartame can also provoke the following diseases: brain tumors, MS (Multiple Sclerosis), epilepsy, Graves’ disease, chronic fatigue, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, mental deficiency and tuberculosis. Later, this substance was initially illegal due to its dangers but was again made legal in a suspicious manner.
E338 – Orthophosphoric Acid. This can cause irritation of the skin and eyes. It is used for production of phosphoric acid salts of ammonia, sodium, calcium, aluminum and also in organic synthesis for the production of charcoal and film tapes. It is also used in the production of refractory materials, ceramics, glass, fertilizers, synthetic detergents, medicine, metalworking, as well as in the textile and oil industries. It is known that orthophosphoric acid interferes with the absorption of calcium and iron into the body which can cause weakening of bones and osteoporosis. Other side effects are thirst and skin rashes.
E330 – Citric Acid. It is widely used in pharmaceutical and food industries. Salts of citric acid (citrates) are used in the food industry as acids, preservatives, stabilizers, and in the medical fields – for preserving blood.
Aromas – unknown aromatic additives
E211 – Sodium Benzoate. It is used in production of some food products for anti-bacterial and anti-fungal purposes. It is often found in jams, fruit juices and fruit yogurts. It’s not recommended for use by asthmatics and people who are sensitive to aspirin. A study conducted by Peter Piper at the Sheffield University in Britain, found that this compound causes significant damage to DNA. According to Peter, sodium benzoate which is an active component in preservatives, doesn’t destroy DNA, but deactivates it. This can lead to cirrhosis and degenerative diseases like Parkinson’s disease.
Coca-Cola is undeniably a very useful product. The key is to use it for purposes that do not include drinking! Here is a video about Coca-Cola!
Sources: Get Holistic Health, Why Don’t You Try This
If you've been around anyone who is into health or natural foods you are likely to hear the three letters, GMO, whenever you go out to lunch or run past a farmer's market here in the Columbus area. Since I talk so often about what you put into your body is so important, I really believe you need to learn about the dangers of GMOs.
What are GMOs?
GMOs, or “genetically modified organisms,” are plants or animals that have been genetically engineered with DNA from bacteria, viruses or other plants and animals. These experimental combinations of genes from different species cannot occur in nature or in traditional crossbreeding, which makes you wonder if it's a good idea.
Virtually all commercial GMOs are engineered to withstand direct application of herbicide and/or to produce an insecticide. Despite biotech industry promises, none of the GMO traits currently on the market offer increased yield, drought tolerance, enhanced nutrition, or any other consumer benefit.
I really believe you need to learn about the dangers of GMOs.
Meanwhile, a growing body of evidence connects GMOs with health problems, environmental damage and violation of farmers’ and consumers’ rights.
Genetically modified foods have been shown to cause harm to humans, animals, and the environmental, and despite growing opposition, more and more foods continue to be genetically altered.
Are GMOs labeled?
Even though polls consistently show that a significant majority of Americans want to know if the food they’re purchasing contains GMOs, the powerful biotech lobby has succeeded in keeping this information from the public. In the absence of mandatory labeling, the Non-GMO Project was created to give consumers the informed choice they deserve.
Top 10 Worst GMO Foods
1. Corn: This is a no-brainer. If you’ve watched any food documentary, you know corn is highly modified. “As many as half of all U.S. farms growing corn for Monsanto are using genetically modified corn,” and much of it is intended for human consumption. Monsanto’s GMO corn has been tied to numerous health issues, including weight gain and organ disruption.
2. Soy: Found in tofu, vegetarian products, soybean oil, soy flour, and numerous other products, soy is also modified to resist herbicides. As of now, biotech giant Monsanto still has a tight grasp on the soybean market, with approximately 90 percent of soy being genetically engineered to resist Monsanto’s herbicide Roundup. In one single year, 2006, 96.7 million pounds of glyphosate was sprayed on soybeans alone.
3. Sugar: According to NaturalNews, genetically-modified sugar beets were introduced to the U.S. market in 2009. Like others, they’ve been modified by Monsanto to resist herbicides. Monsanto has even had USDA and court-related issues with the planting of its sugar beets, being ordered to remove seeds from the soil due to illegal approval.
4. Aspartame: Aspartame is a toxic additive used in numerous food products, and should be avoided for numerous reasons, including the fact that it is created with genetically modified bacteria.
5. Papayas: This one may come as a surprise to all of you tropical-fruit lovers. GMO papayas have been grown in Hawaii for consumption since 1999. Though they can’t be sold to countries in the European Union, they are welcome with open arms in the U.S. and Canada.
6. Canola: One of the most chemically altered foods in the U.S. diet, canola oil is obtained from rapeseed through a series of chemical actions. It's source was a fuel alternative from Canada Oil.......didn't get approved for vehicles.
7. Cotton: Found in cotton oil, cotton originating in India and China in particular has serious risks.
8. Dairy: Your dairy products contain growth hormones, with as many as one-fifth of all dairy cows in America are pumped with these hormones. In fact, Monsanto’s health-hazardous rBGH has been banned in 27 countries, but is still in most US cows. If you must drink milk, buy organic.
9. and 10. Zucchini and Yellow Squash: Closely related, these two squash varieties are modified to resist viruses.
The dangers of some of these foods are well-known. The Bt toxin being used in GMO corn, for example, was recently detected in the blood of pregnant women and their babies. But perhaps more frightening are the risks that are still unknown.
With little regulation and safety tests performed by the companies doing the genetic modifications themselves, we have no way of knowing for certain what risks these lab-created foods pose to us outside of what we already know.
Please watch presentations by Jeffrey Smith on Netflix or youtube for more information.
*Source: The NonGMO Project http://www.nongmoproject.org/learn-more/
Alternative Health Oasis is based in Powell Ohio, just north of Columbus.
We specialize in natural alternatives for our clients who are dealing with back, abdominal , neck and head pain. If you face a loss of energy we have natural solutions which can bring you back to the energy level you use to have.
Contact us today!
ASK DR. MIKE YOUR HEALTH QUESTIONS
Here are a few of the daily occurrences that can cause low back pain:
1. Sitting on a wallet or cell phone all day at work, it is best to put them in your shirt pocket and carry less in your wallet.
2. Sleeping on your stomach, it is better to sleep on your back or side with a pillow between your knees and another with neck support.
3. Wearing uncomfortable and unsupportive shoes. Check your shoes for wear, you may need orthotics. Free scan and analysis at our office.
4. Slouching in a desk chair at work and not having the key board at the right level.
5. Smoking tobacco and other bad habits.
6. And last but by no means the least, have regular checkups & adjustments with your Chiropractor. As often as 4 to 12 weeks depending on your job and lifestyle.
How can I prevent becoming part of the 80% of Americans with back pain?
Start a wellness goal for yourself. Making a few changes in the way you live can help reduce the chances of establishing persistent back pain. Here are a few choices that can be implemented in everyday life.
1. Exercise daily to help increase blood and oxygen flow in the body, at least 30-60 minutes.
2. Eat whole foods that are rich in vitamins and nutrients, primarily organic & plant based.
3. Don’t eat excessive amounts of junk/fast foods, best would be to eliminate them all. Go for at least 35 grams of fiber a day.
4. Lastly drink one half your body weight in ounces of clean pure H2O daily.
There are many habits that occur throughout the day that can induce back pain. Some things have become so routine in our lives that we do not realize they could be harmful.
A chiropractor’s expertise in spinal manipulation and extremity adjustments can be beneficial for low back pain. Chiropractors can also provide techniques for at-home recovery, starting with exercises
To make your appointment with Dr. Mike and find out more how his experience in correcting back pain, fatigue, digestive issues can help you get back to living healthy again.
A new patient of Dr. Mike’s will initially need 2 to 4 visits to achieve optimal structural health. Extreme cases can take 4 to 8 visits.
Contact Alternative Health Services in Powell today.